The Unwritten is a Good Comic

the unwritten comic
So, around a year or so ago, a friend and I were looking around at our local comic shop, and the first issue of The Unwritten happened to catch my eye. It had a cool cover and an endorsement from BKV, and both my friend and I made a note to check it out sometime. Unfortunately, I have a pretty terrible memory when it comes to this stuff, so I promptly forgot the name of the comic and only my friend did the checking out. He told me it was okay, and then with Batman Reborn and Blackest Night stuff going on I forgot all about it until maybe two weeks ago when I was reminded of the name of the comic.

the unwritten
So I grabbed the first issue and I read it and I immediately loved it. The storybook stuff that the story started with was beautiful drawn and executed, and the rest of the story was fantastic. I felt like so much happened in just that one issue and I couldn't wait to read the rest of the comic. I remembered my friend saying it was okay (I have no problem remembering stuff like this for some reason), so I called him up, deciding that he must have read the wrong comic.

Friend: Hello?
Me: Have you ever read The Unwritten?
Friend: Oh. Yeah, it was okay.
Me: But it was awesome!
Friend: It was okay.
Me: adventure time finn

So my friend is totally wrong. I got all caught up on The Unwritten and it is awesome and I can't wait to see where the story goes from here. Without spoiling too much, the comic is about the son of the author of wildly popular Harry Potter/Narnia-ish books who mysteriously disappeared years ago. Said son was the inspiration for the book's main character and basically coasts through life on the popularity of the books until he is asked a question that starts to tear his world apart. I'm not making it sound awesome enough. IT IS GREAT I PROMISE. The first trade is out already and there are 11 issues out in floppy form. Read it and agree with me about how wrong my friend is.

0 comments:

Post a Comment